Lake Boga Cemetery was officially gazetted in 1896.

It is located on Cemetery Road Lake Boga less than a kilometre from the township.

Access Hours

Access is available to the public 24 hours a day, seven days a week.


Our History

Lake Boga was named by Surveyor General Thomas Mitchell in 1836. The settlement however didn’t take shape until the 1890s when the railway line to Swan Hill was developed which ran past the lake. Township blocks were established and sold, and the school was opened in 1892, the general store in 1893, and in 1894 a need for a cemetery evolved.

Alexander Gray, James A. Robertson, Arthur Scown, James Scott and Benjamin Tripcony were the first trustees on the board of the cemetery trust. It is interesting to note that some of these names are still very local to Lake Boga today.

Swan Hill Cemetery Trust commenced the day to day running of the Lake Boga Cemetery in July 2020. The Lake Boga Cemetery Trust board remains, seeing to the future of the Lake Boga Cemetery and the upkeep and maintenance to the grounds.

Trees

Lake Boga was named by Surveyor General Thomas Mitchell in 1836. The settlement however didn’t take shape until the 1890s when the railway line to Swan Hill was developed which ran past the lake. Township blocks were established and sold, and the school was opened in 1892, the general store in 1893, and in 1894 a need for a cemetery evolved.

Alexander Gray, James A. Robertson, Arthur Scown, James Scott and Benjamin Tripcony were the first trustees on the board of the cemetery trust. It is interesting to note that some of these names are still very local to Lake Boga today.

Swan Hill Cemetery Trust commenced the day to day running of the Lake Boga Cemetery in July 2020. The Lake Boga Cemetery Trust board remains, seeing to the future of the Lake Boga Cemetery and the upkeep and maintenance to the grounds.


Notable Burials

Florence Isabel Gray

Florence Isabel Gray 1894 - 1894

Although it is believed that there were quite a few “unofficial” burials into the cemetery before this time, Florence was the first official burial on 15th September 1894. She was the 5-month-old baby of the storekeepers Alexander and Janet (May) Gray. Alex, shortly after the passing of his little girl, became one of the first trustees of the cemetery.


Commonwealth War Graves

Commonwealth War Graves

With the establishment of the No 1 Flying Boat Repair Depot during World War II, a portion of the cemetery was set aside for the interment of service personnel.

There are 7 personnel interred into this section.

  • RAAF 41003 Leading Aircraftman Edward Morris Hircock
  • RAAF 25109 Corporal Charles Buchholz
  • RAAF 26192 Warrant Officer Allan David Tozer
  • WAAF 90082 Section Officer Norma Helen June MacDonald Kelso
  • AIF NX151858 Lance Corporal William Harold Daniels
  • AIF VX114097 Lieutenant Leonard George Hutton

Joan Notting

Joan Notting 1934 – 2020

Joan was one of 9 children, raised in Lake Boga. She joined the Victorian Police Force at age 31 in 1966. It is said she was an inspirational leader who asked for little of others but led, supported & mentored so many. In 1982 she was promoted to Senior Sergeant and was the first ever female Officer in Charge of a general duties station, an all-male station at Laverton. In 1984 she was promoted to Inspector at Broadmeadows and remained there until she retired in 1989. Joan then returned to the district on her retirement.

Lake Boga Cemetery Location

Cemetery Road, Lake Boga 3584

Looking for park policies, resources & information?